Marty, Remedial Massage Therapist
- Diploma of Remedial Massage (Demi International 2022)
- Functional Movement Systems - SFMA Instructor (2017)
- Rock Tape Courses - Kinesiology Taping & Rockblading (2017)
- Certificate IV in Massage Therapy (Q Academy 2015)
- HPC - Advanced Nutrition - Level 1 (2014)
- Australian Kettlebell Instructor (2013)
- Certificates 3 & 4 in Fitness (PT Training - 2012)
- Area of Special Interest: Improving Functional wellness.
Available for appointments 3 day's a week:
- Thursday – 12 pm to 9 pm
- Friday – 12 pm to 9 pm
- Saturday – 8 am to 4 pm
Hi, my name is Marty and I am a Remedial Massage Therapist here at HANDS from HEAVEN. I studied my Diploma of Remedial Massage at Demi International with Tony as my trainer and mentor. I decided to become a remedial massage therapist because it has been a modality that has helped me get out of chronic lower back pain that I have lived with throughout my life after being born with Spondylolisthesis (L5 vertebrae slippage, grade 1 pars defect fracture).
I believe a full body assessment before and after treatment is important because it provides measurability when creating a treatment plan as well as evidence of change because of that treatment … but I also believe that frequently assessing & re-assessing as I work through a treatment improves range of motion in target joints – and that helps improve full body mechanics, helping your body to work as a complete system again – and ultimately improving your overall functionality. My favourite techniques to use are Trigger Point Therapy (to release muscular tension) and Myofascial Release (to lengthen a muscle or muscle group).
I recognise the connections between the fascial system and compensation patterns that can occur when pain develops in an area of the body. The body’s natural healing mechanism is to guard – to turn off muscles around the pain site to protect against further pain or injury. When that happens, other muscles to take up the slack – the system stops working as a team of muscles – and dysfunctional compensatory patterns occur … that process leads to the question – “Are you in pain because you’re not moving well or are you not moving well because you are in pain?”.
Remedial massage therapy and core stability training have given me the tools to live a fully functional & pain-free life both at work and doing the things I enjoy for recreation.
- My passion is to help others who are in pain feel the same.
- My goal is to help educate and help people out of pain and get them back living life to their fullest.
- My career goal is to open my own gym and massage clinic in one place and to start a fitness and massage college to help younger trainers and therapist be the best they can be.